Skip to Main Content

Law School Special Collections & Archives: Resources

Special Collections

The Judge Kathryn J. DuFour Law Library's Special Collections Reading Room focuses on preserving rare books, valuable and/or unique collections, and law school archival material. The Special Collections Reading Room generally houses works printed prior to 1850. These titles require special care, need preservation work and in some instances may be considered rare. One will find among these:

  • Blackstone's Commentaries on the Law (1803);
  • Bacon's Abridgement of the Law (1798);
  • Coke's Institutes of the Laws of England (1809); and
  • Dalrymple's Essay toward a General History of Feudal Property Law (1758).

The Special Collections Reading Room also includes books of more recent vintage that are of unique interest to the law school community. For example, textbooks published by our early deans, materials on the Inns of Court, the history of the Old Baily, and reminiscences of local Washington law firms are shelved here. Holding a place of special honor is a collection of mid-nineteenth century legal Americana donated by former Professor Emeritus Maxwell Bloomfield. These and other rare books can be found in the Law Library's online catalog and are identified with a location of "Special Collections."

Terms of Access

Librarians are usually available to assist with retrieving materials from the Special Collections. Visitors should contact the Reference Department (202-319-6284) ahead of time to arrange for assistance with this collection.

Law Library Catalog
Search:
Advanced Search

Resources for Researching the History of the Law School

Books

Professor Emeritus Stephen G. Margeton (the Director of the Judge Kathryn J. DuFour Law Library and Professor of Law from 1988 until 2013), in conjunction with current and former members of the Law School's administration and faculty, is currently researching and writing a history of the Catholic University of  America Columbus School of Law.  While the book is forthcoming, the following texts provide useful information related to the history of the Law School and the University.

 

 

Timelines/Chronologies

Papers

Annual Reports, Yearbooks & Newspapers

Articles/Documents Arranged In Chronological Order

Archives

The Archives section of the Special Collections Reading Room contains a number of important collections. It is the repository of materials from former faculty members, several judges, and notable alumni. 

The Archives Section also serves as a historical repository for the Columbus School of Law as evidenced through the collection and retention of materials illustrating the day-to-day public life of the institution.

Terms of Access

Librarians are usually available to assist with retrieving materials from the Special Collections during regular business hours, however visitors should contact the Library (202-319-5156) ahead of time to confirm availability and arrange for assistance with this collection.

Additional Resources

Historical Photographs

Leahy Hall - Artist's Rendering (1966).

William C. Robinson - The Law School's First Dean (undated).

Moot Court in Leahy Hall (1960s).

Leahy Hall (1980s).

Model of Current Law School Building (1993).

Dulles Mansion - Columbus School of Law (undated).

Classroom in Leahy Hall (1960s).

Justice Alito - Commencement Speaker (2008).

Law School Scholarship (1939)

Law Students Leaving Leahy Hall (1966).

Law School Building Construction (1993).

Leahy Hall - The Law Library (1960s)

The First Graduating Class (1899)

Justice White Congratulating CUA Law Moot Court Team (1965).

Keane Hall (1980s)

Sutherland Cup Moot Court Competition (1962)

Supreme Court Justices Thomas & Ginsburg Attend Building Dedication (1994)

Columbus Community Legal Services Law Clinic (1970s).

Leahy Hall Groundbreaking (1965).

Washington Post Advertisement (1957).

Justice Kavanaugh Commencement Address (2018)

Ribbon Cutting During Building Dedication Ceremony (1994).

The Law Library at Dulles Mansion (undated).

President Johnson Receiving Honorary Doctor of Laws (1965).

Construction of Current Law School Building (1993)

Leahy Hall - The Law Library (1966)

Dean Miller and Law Students (1966).

Justice O'Connor (1998).

Law Library in McMahon Hall (undated).

U.S. Attorney General Janet Reno at Law School Building Dedication (1994).

Columbus University Yearbook (1941).

Button Commemorating the Opening of the New Law School Building (1994).

McMahon Hall - Law Library (1917).

Judge Kathryn J. DuFour Law Library / 3600 John McCormack Road N.E., Washington, DC 20064 / 202-319-5155